Monday, February 2, 2015

Mundane Matters

Women's Ministory--To Have, or To Be


I could start a firestorm, I suppose. But that's never the intention of this blog.

However !! In the past several days I've read numerous articles on the good, the bad and the ugly of women's ministry. Each have made a well studied observation. Each have pointed out the pros and cons. Most have decided they are all fluff, and dangerous, and something our husbands may not like.

This is my take. And I'll take full responsibility for any fallout. 

Women need one another.  Period. 

And if that is best accomplished, for YOUR individual church, locale, culture, whether by teas or deep Bible studies then go for it. (and who's to say it can't be both?)  

And who is to judge the depth or width or height of the spiritual impact it makes. Is a girl/single woman/single mom/ wife/grandmother, etc. who comes to know Jesus, and crave to follow him, less His child if that knowledge comes with a cup of tea in her hand and an arm around her shoulders, than the sister who is made aware of her need through a verse-by-verse exposition of the book of John? 

Do I believe in husband-bashing? NO. Do I believe in women encouraging other women to step aside from their roles? NO. Do I believe we should not have deep Bible studies as women? NO, NO. NO.

Not every woman in my church is a mother, or a wife. But they are all daughters. And regardless of what role their own mothers might have had in their life, MY role as another woman in the congregation, is to reach out, affirm them, love them, cry with them, laugh with them and yes--if necessary--put a doily on the table and serve them tea. And whether I'm pouring tea, or leading a Bible study, Jesus MUST be seen in me. 

It's not WHAT we do nearly so much as FOR WHOM it is done.

Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by  him.

Colossians: 3:23-24 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I'll stand corrected if that is the case. But my personal interpretation of these verses comes down to this: If I serve, in Jesus' name, it is NEVER mundane.

Indeed,

It matters!!









No comments:

Post a Comment